Sunday, July 28, 2013

STAR WITNESS


STAR WITNESS. (1975)
 

Little did I know when I went to the aid of Ollie Torling in Honiara hospital that I would become a hero and hence a star witness in a huge compensation claim.

Ollie Torling was tough man. Nobody meddled with Ollie. The local people had a certain awe of this Swede who migrated to Australia after WW2 and thence to Solomons to set up his little empire. In a country that was poor and had little to attract tourists Ollie had set up an attractive if simple tourist resort at Tambea, about an hour’s drive along the dirt road west of Honiara. We Brothers enjoyed some of the luxuries on rare occasions.

I recall, as part of our induction in 1975 (Br. Greg Moran and myself) that Br. Paul Murphy took us along this beautiful and fascinating coastline. A string of white, coral beaches fringed by coconut palms faced across Iron Bottom sound to the spectacular volcano Island of Savo. A scene of savage naval battles in WW2 there were nearly 50 battleships ghosting away and tombs of innumerable dead sailors deep down in Iron Bottom Sound.  I wept for our Aussi boys who plunged into those awful depths as the Canberra, along with four US warships were destroyed in one night. This coastline, all so serene now, was the scene of  slogging battles for near six months as the Americans pushed the Japanese west and into extinction. Looking up into some of the old scarred coconut trees you could see where a shell had passed through leaving a neat hole as a reminder of those bloody times. As a war tragique, Guadacanal would prove a treasure for me. I must have read every book on the subject and explored the beaches, the hills, the creeks and rivers. Actually, the first major victory against the Japanese was at Alligator Creek just five minutes from Tenaru and where some eight hundred Japanese perished in suicidal dashes across a sandspit.
Along the way we diverted to the abandoned Aruligo Catholic High School which also was  falling into ruins. It had been  a brave attempt at a new style of education. Both boys and girls from all over the diocese boarded here and given a good secondary education by Marist Fathers and Sisters.  Sadly, there had been little consultation  by the Bishop and his Marists regarding the site. It proved a costly and brief venture. There was little water and poor gardening land to feed the students. Relying on supply from Honiara was hazardous in the wet season and the rivers flooded and there was no access. Meanwhile the Brothers continued with primary at Tenaru. In a rather humiliating back flip the secondary was relocated there.

By the time we reached Tambea we had developed a respectable thirst. Surprise, Surprise, there was a bamboo style bar where they served Aussi beer. Well, we didn’t mind the inflated price as we surely were supporting an admirable new venture. Unfortunately, even after a fine fish dinner, we did not find the manager, Ollie. He was in process of setting up the first “industrial size  piggery in Solomons.

So, my first encounter with him was when he was stretchered into the tiny hospital room where I was enduring my own hell of kidney stones.  He was a bloody mess, with a head heavily bandaged after some treatment and unconscious after much anaesthetic. Actually, he was lucky to survive after a savage attack. He would sleep for two days. His heavy breathing as a constant backdrop and made sleeping a little difficult at night. He had a few very concerned visitors, among them an attractive Australian girl, who actually had been a factor in this attack.

I was able to piece together the drama of that Saturday night. It was all caused by that Aussie femme fatale. It seemed that she was doing a line with a local boy, Isaac who was truly bewitched. Then, she switched to another local who was also working at Ollie’s restaurant. A volcano was about to blow.  That Saturday night was particularly busy with guests enjoying the drive from Honiara along with the beautiful setting and fine cuisine. It appears that Isaac, all liquored up, suddenly appeared and started to abuse his rival. Ollie appeared and quickly defused the ominous situation by king hitting Isaac who crumpled and hit the deck. He was down but definitely not out.  As Ollie walked away, Isaac staggered to his feet, grabbed a glass louver, chased after the boss and smashed his head. Blood everywhere from the deep wound. Ollie knew he was in deep trouble. After giving a few directions, he wobbled to his room, grabbed a towel and stanched the blood flow. He needed help and quickly. He started up his Landrover and bounced out. Murder lurked in the shadows. There was Isaac, armed with a spear gun and in a murderous rage. Somehow he missed as Ollie careered down the drive and headed for the nearest help, the Catholic Mission at Visale where the Marist Missionary Sisters ran an excellent clinic. They gave him urgent assistance but insisted he must get to hospital. Rejecting any help, the tough Swede made the dash, smoking along that rutted road to Number 9 (the hospital). And so, he ended up as my companion in the small “white” cottage.

Now, I don’t recall whether it was that night or the following, but there was an unforgivable lapse of nursing procedure which could have cost him his life. In the middle of the night, I woke with a start after this great crash. Ollie had fallen out of bed! I pressed the button for help but obviously it was not functioning or there was some great slackness. Poor Ollie was making some strange sounds. So, I tumbled out and found that he was lying face down and his mouth was flush against the floor. The strange blowing sound was his fight for air. Now, I was well aware of moving a body and possibly causing more damage but this was desperate. As gently as I could I rolled him over. He was still unconscious and it flashed through my mind that despite all those heavy bandages around his head, this fall could cause brain damage.

Suddenly, there was a rush of nurses and staff and they took the situation in hand. He was back in bed, quite oblivious of the drama. It was only in later conversation that I filled him in. He was not impressed with the nursing but was thankful that I had acted.

It was months later that he contacted me. We met and he informed me that he was bringing a case of negligence against the hospital. It surely was negligence and yes, he could have died. He was most appreciative of my actions and thanked me for saving his life. I was chuffed by that of course. But when he asked me to be a star witness for his case I was less enthusiastic. I was very thankful for the treatment I received there  and made some nice friends!! But then I realised I might not have any option.

It was an anxious time as I expected the call. But cunning Ollie must have played his cards very cleverly. I was never called. I saw Ollie in a rare smiling mood some time later. And yes, there was a settlement out of court. He never did sling any dollars in my direction but what is the price of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment